FlickrToPlus.com – Flickr to Google Plus Migration Tool

January 1st, 2013 By Scott Savage Categories: Google, Internet, software
FlickrToPlus.com Screenshot

FlickrToPlus.com Screenshot

I have been using Google Plus a lot more lately, and now feel that the social layer (permissions and annotations) adds substantially to the photo experience. I know this is not a new revelation, but as a long time Flickr Pro customer I felt that the options of “Friends” or “Family” visibility, when I don’t really have either on Flickr, were not enough. Therefore over the 2012 Christmas holiday break I decided to work on a new web tool, FlickrToPlus.com.

There are two really annoying things about doing this migration for me:

1. Losing metadata – especially titles and geo data
  2. Downloading/Uploading every file

This tool solves both these problems with the help of the Flickr and Picasa API’s. In fact my server doesn’t even see the photo files, you can pass a Flickr original image URL directly to the Picasa API. This means the service is fast and reliable. All you need to do is log in with both Flickr and Picasa, and then check the box against the set you would like to migrate. The site will then provide a progress update on the migration status. Google Plus albums and Picasa albums are currently pretty much the same thing, so these migrated albums are available straight away in the Google Plus interface for sharing with your friends.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

Tags: , , , , , ,

70 Responses to “FlickrToPlus.com – Flickr to Google Plus Migration Tool”

1. Gina
    January 6th, 2013 at 15:36

It worked like a charm. Google+ has a nicer interface and I have room for tons more pictures. Thanks!!

2. John
    January 9th, 2013 at 01:08

It created albums in Picasa but didn’t import any photos yet. I have a lot of sets! It ran all night but nothing yet.

Also, Picasa accepts videos now. Why videos transfer now?

• January 9th, 2013 at 08:30

Hi John,
      I am improving some of the error handling code at the moment, so I had to stop and start things a bit and that slowed the migration down. You might see some weird things over the next 24-48 hours, but everything will migrate normally eventually. Sorry for the delay!
      Scott

3. John
    January 14th, 2013 at 01:22

It is working now, Scott. Thank you! I feel better having another backup and I do like how + handles and shows photos. Now if I could just find a way to transfer videos…

4. February 20th, 2013 at 06:50

This is awesome!! Thank you so much.

5. March 5th, 2013 at 03:12

Thanks Scott – this tool was a lifesaver for me. You need to drop a tipjar on your page.. I’d gladly contribute.

6. March 20th, 2013 at 02:21

+1! Thanks!

7. March 21st, 2013 at 06:53

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your website.
    It appears like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen.
    Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This may be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before. Appreciate it

8. Tim
    April 18th, 2013 at 05:06

Ran across this today, WHAT A LIFE SAVER!

Question though. Is this a one time move? Meaning if I come back and migrate again, will it delete and reupload? I ask cause I cannot get back to the main page to migrate again. I assume if I clear cache it will.

Thanks

• May 5th, 2013 at 22:05

It’s tied to your Flickr account, so it will remember which albums you have migrated and which you haven’t. It will never delete anything.

You should be able to get back to the main page to check though. What happens when you try?

9. Anthos
    April 19th, 2013 at 05:42

Thanks mate; this is such a life saver. sure one day google might buy you out !

• anthos
      April 20th, 2013 at 07:51

The flickrtoplus reports all files are copied they all don’t appear in plus due to shortage of space. I have bought more space in plus but I am unable to reset and repeat the flickrtoplus transfer. I tried by deleting one copied set in plus; still no luck. please help.

• May 18th, 2013 at 16:13

If you delete a set and then change the image size to “Original” it should copy over again at full size.

10. Jonathan
    April 30th, 2013 at 07:50

Interesting looking tool. I have the same question as Tim from 18-4-2013.

Is this a one-time use? Could I come back and migrate again (say to bring over some files at original size and some at ‘large’ size?

11. Tim
    May 4th, 2013 at 15:44

Thank you so much!! I also wanted to leave Flickr for Google+ and this worked perfectly.

12. Ross Graham
    May 9th, 2013 at 08:18

Hiya! Worked like a charm!!!

I want to migrate the photos from Flickr to ANOTHER Google+ account tho. Possible? Right now when I log BACK into Flickr-to-Plus and sign into the same Flickr account but a different Google+ account it looks like I can’t select anything to migrate over to the new account.

Is this something I can pull off?

13. Gordon
    May 9th, 2013 at 21:51

Your transfer tool worked without any problems whatsoever. I would certainly recommend it to anyone thinking about making the switch to Google +. I especially appreciated the straightforward procedure and format. Thanks!!!

14. Adam
    May 16th, 2013 at 06:47

Did nto work for me. I get the error below:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/flickrtoplus/flickrtoplus.com/build_albums.php on line 43

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/flickrtoplus/flickrtoplus.com/build_albums.php:43) in /home/flickrtoplus/flickrtoplus.com/build_albums.php on line 68

15. Hudson
    May 16th, 2013 at 14:09

Is this still working? I activated a transfer a few hours ago and selected all my albums. Now it just shows me ‘Processing’ on every single one, all the albums have been created in Google+, but no photos have been transferred yet. I sure hope this works because I’ve been looking to do this for a while now and your solution seems pretty neat!

16. Sun-E
    May 17th, 2013 at 20:55

Hi,
    nice thing, but the transfer itself need horrible time. An album with 7 pictures is 2 days in process… ๐Ÿ™

• May 18th, 2013 at 16:15

Sorry things are a little slow at the moment because the service has become a little too popular! It is processing as quickly as it can. The service has moved 750k+ images since launching in Jan!

17. Mike Ellis
    May 19th, 2013 at 22:37

Hi Scott

I set the system running about a week ago and it seems to have stalled. I wondered if you could help?

thanks in advance!

Mike

• May 21st, 2013 at 09:23

Sorry the system is getting a lot of volume since Google IO! Please be patient!

18. beglen
    May 21st, 2013 at 04:35

Amazing. Totally amazing. You FINALLY enabled me to make the switch (for similar reasons to those you state). Byt, bye Flickr!

19. Eugene Blackman
    May 23rd, 2013 at 21:27

Thank you so much for providing this tool.

Since Yahoo in it’s infinite wisdom decided to turn Flickr in Tumblr I have been incandescent with rage.

Thanks to you I’m able to rid myself of Flickr and delete my account. Hopefully the migrate doesn’t take a month. I have over 1K images (thankfully all in sets).

I have a feeling Flickr to Plus is going to get very popular. I’ll certainly plug it.

20. Martijn
    May 26th, 2013 at 00:26

After the Google IO changes and Flickr’s “refresh”, I guess the queue has been growing a lot lately. Do you have any estimates on how long migration is going to take for everyone/anyone?

21. May 27th, 2013 at 08:27

Yes, the site is still getting slammed post IO and Flickr changes. Currently migrations are taking 4 days or so sorry, but I will work to speed things up over the next few days.
    Scott

22. Dave Sweeney
    May 27th, 2013 at 23:27

I have been trying for 2 weeks. Step 3 – Select Flickr albums to migrate – says processing. It does not allow me to click on anything.

Should I abort? Doesn’t seem to be working.

Thanks,
    Dave

• May 28th, 2013 at 00:25

It’s processing, it just takes a few days due to current load sorry!

23. May 28th, 2013 at 18:37

I have optimised the upload process, it should be ~6x faster now. Hopefully will get through the backlog in 2 days or so.

Thanks,
    Scott

• Martijn
      May 31st, 2013 at 00:20

I don’t think it’s working ๐Ÿ™

My photos have been “processing” for over a week now, and I can’t cancel, retry, or anything else (except add more sets to the “Processing..” list)

• May 31st, 2013 at 22:40

@Martijn, my processed finished now, flickrtogoogleplus tells me all completed, but the albumns not in G+!? And whats your status?

Bye,
        Sun-E

24. June 1st, 2013 at 16:58

The site has processed 1 million photos now, but still has a queue of 350k! Some albums were mistakenly marked as completed, even though photos were yet to transfer due to a bug. They are still transferring though! If you want a status update on your albums then please use the contact section of my blog and provide the flickr set id.
    Thanks and sorry for the delays,
    Scott

• Sun-E
      June 1st, 2013 at 23:36

Sounds okay. I dont need an status…I will waiting… :-p

Thanks for this good work!

Bye,
      Sun-E

• June 2nd, 2013 at 05:15

That’s fine. Thanks for the update!

• Sun-E
      June 6th, 2013 at 06:05

And the processes still runnin’? ๐Ÿ™‚

Actually no more album of myself uploaded yet… :-/

• June 18th, 2013 at 22:07

Today no more photos uploaded. ๐Ÿ™

25. Peter B
    June 12th, 2013 at 16:27

Works pretty well, but it looks like it stripped most of the metadata when it copied over to Google+, and my photos now all show dates of 1970. Any way to keep all the original metadata?

26. Gipsyspirit
    June 17th, 2013 at 04:03

Hi there – great tool, though I need to re-migrate two of my Flickr sets to Picasa as I added a couple more photos to them from the Photostream AFTER doing the first migration. But I don’t seem to be able to check the boxes of these two sets now the migration’s done. Any ideas?

27. June 24th, 2013 at 21:10

How long you waited for the migration? After 2-3 weeks no more photos updated yet. In the backend the status is still finished… :-/

28. July 2nd, 2013 at 19:12

Hi Scott,

Just migrated 165 photos in less than 10 minutes. The interface is looking great. I got some confusing messages about headers already send and I was unable to check albums to transfer on the last screen but it did the job. Great work and many thanks for saving my time!

Michal

29. July 4th, 2013 at 00:53

Interesting Michael,
    then several album of myself are broken. I waited several weeks, but no more migrated yet. All album checked as completed, but not all complete. And its not possible to check them again… :-/

• July 11th, 2013 at 05:15

My albums, too, are marked as complete. I’ve had one album appear in G+ but the title of the album & photos were set to “1/f_7I70[…]” (it’s rather lengthy). I figured it was temporary & part of the process, but it hasn’t seen an update since (this being weeks ago). Meanwhile none of the other albums/photos have appeared.

Now I’m curious of the state of my transfer seeing Michal’s having gone smoothly, and wondering if a restart is possible and/or if it’s needed.

• July 18th, 2013 at 21:34

I guess its broken. Nothing happend anymore since the transfer of few album. And we cant restart it. So stupid… :-/

30. Martin
    September 4th, 2013 at 19:55

Working great, sadly i also missed the image size to original but i selected 30 sets . . . i guess ill have to wait for it to finsh and then delete them all from G+ and try again.

Can the processing ones be stopped?

Thanks

31. chris
    November 9th, 2013 at 07:50

We just used your tool and it worked perfectly. Now we need to copy our Flickr photos to our Google+ company page. Any tips on how to do that? We can download albums from the personal page and then upload them to the company page so we do have a process, however it would be easier if we could go direct from Flickr.

32. Dhan
    November 15th, 2013 at 10:13

This has saved me a million hrs. Thank you kind sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

33. March 31st, 2014 at 04:00

I found this fabulous tool yesterday. Less than 24 hours later, more than 90% of my 6,500 photos are now nicely nestled in their new home on Google+. Thank you so very much for this great service.

34. Joakim Johansson
    April 6th, 2014 at 12:33

Just wanted to say what an awesome tool this. Now in 2014 I guess maybe the load has dropped a bit, just 20 minutes in and 500 pictures have been successfully migrated.

Now if only I could g+ the page ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for making this possible!

35. Otto
    April 10th, 2014 at 20:03

After more then a week it’s still processing my photo’s. Is this normal?

• August 2nd, 2014 at 17:01

Yes, sorry! There seems to be throttling on the Yahoo/Flickr side.

36. Susan
    June 6th, 2014 at 23:46

Worked great, looks like they all made it over during the night, thanks so much!

37. Mischa
    June 28th, 2014 at 22:28

Thank you for Flickr to Google+. I was able to migrate 9 years of photos seamlessly. It looks like it stopped working recently though. looks like the flickr authentication is failing.

38. Rachel
    July 22nd, 2014 at 11:26

Changed everything to Google+ and found your app to migrate my Flickr pics to Google Photos. Apparently 8500 or so pics made it before my 8yr closed the browser and now the VERY last album containing 473 pics hasn’t migrated after about 3 days of “processing.” Something has gone wrong but I don’t know how to fix since it won’t let me restart the migrate process. Keep in mind the 8500 migrated in like under 2 days so I don’t think it just needs more time.?? Ideas? The album in question is my “Cape Cod 2013” album. Thanks for your help and creating an awesome tool!

• August 2nd, 2014 at 16:59

It will still be running in the background, but it may take a week or so to transfer sorry!

39. November 2nd, 2014 at 20:05

Hello, thank you for this service! I tried to sync an album with 35 photos, the page says it is completed but no photos have appeared (https://picasaweb.google.com/109098983561044225374/GManProject) Any ideas?

• December 29th, 2014 at 11:47

Sorry it says this page is not found? Did you delete the album?

40. Jan
    May 15th, 2015 at 03:17

It’s not working anymore due to googles updated API. Can you plrase fix it?

41. Mike
    May 21st, 2015 at 00:46

I tried using the tool today and it appears that Google has replaced the AuthSub tool with OAuth 2.0. Therefore the exising conversion tool not longer works. The have a note to developers on https://support.google.com/a/answer/6217830?p=authsub&rd=1 Any possibility of updating your tool? I would really like to find a way to transfer my photos to Google.

42. Scott H
    June 1st, 2015 at 07:22

With the recent changes to Google Photos, I was curious if you planned to update flickrtoplus to use Google’s new OAuth 2.0 system? If not, would you consider releasing the source code? I’d love to move my photos from flickr to Google now that Google is offering unlimited storage for Photos.

43. June 5th, 2015 at 11:30

Unfortunately the flickrtoplus site no longer works because of Google+ abandoning the authentication system you’re using; https://support.google.com/a/answer/6217830?p=authsub&rd=1

44. Ralph Averbuch
    June 7th, 2015 at 03:22

Your tool has stopped working since Google changed the way they authenticate 3rd party connections. Do you have any plans to resolve this?

Cheers